D.O.T. Physicals
Golden Plains Community Hospital
banner


Our History

 

The History of Healthcare in Hutchinson County

 

The Early Years

Golden Plains Community Hospital has a diverse and colorful history – one to match the county and city in which it resides.

GPCH

 

Borger’s first two-story city/county hospital was built in the mid-1920s on the corner of Sixth and Weatherly. It had eighteen rooms, several large wards, an operating room, X-ray room,
kitchen, dining room and doctors’ and nurses’ living quarters. The new hospital was opened prematurely on December 8, 1927 when a dynamite blast destroyed a half-block of businesses and
people were injured from the flames. This building was eventually converted into an apartment building.



Modern Healthcare in 1930s Borger

The name of the county hospital was changed to North Plains Hospital while city and county officials were drafting plans for a new facility. The Borger Chamber of Commerce led the drive to
locate the land, which later was donated to the county by Mr. and Mrs. J.F. Weatherly, early Borgans.

In 1937, the residents of Hutchinson County voted a $65,000 bond issue into play to establish a 25-bed North Plains Hospital. Local merchants and service clubs purchased most of the original furniture and equipment for the new hospital. It was constructed by C.S. Lambie on its present site at 200 S. McGee in Borger, Texas at a cost of $58,000.

Orvis Dean Box was the first baby to be born in the new hospital on October 26, 1937.



Moving Into the 1940s and 1950s

In 1941, there was a housing shortage in Borger, so In February of that year, the nurses’ home adjacent to the hospital was added at a cost of $17,900. In 1943, two wings were added to the
hospital at a cost of $71,300 and in 1947, the two-story center wing was built at a cost of $148,683 plus $23,900 for a central heating system.


GPCH

In 1958, the hospital, which served over 50,000 county residents, boasted 25 maternity beds, 40 surgery beds and 25 miscellaneous beds. Over 100 people were on-staff and 15 physicians
served the community. In the late 1950s, the hospital again underwent renovation.

The Ups and Downs of the 1980s

On February 1, 1984, North Plains Hospital was sold to American Medical International [AMI]. AMI planned on spending $5 million on renovation of the facility above and beyond its purchase cost of $6 million. According to the June 21, 1984 edition of The Amarillo Globe News, “AMI took over the hospital until May 18 after a referendum on Jan. 21 showed 79 percent of the voters approved sale of the county-owned facility.”

After taking over the facility, AMI conducted a contest among county residents to rename the hospital. Diana Cline of Borger won the contest in May 1984 with the name, Golden Plains Community Hospital.

In 1986, AMI sold GPCH to Gateway Systems who undertook operations until September 27, 1988 when the hospital’s doors closed due to Gateway’s financial difficulties. Local citizens, led by
Borgan Jerry Waggoner, took up the cause and held public meetings to discuss the need for a community hospital as well as alternatives. The committee worked diligently to inform the public about the option of bringing the Hutchinson County Hospital District into being.


Golden Plains Community Hospital


On July 8, 1989, Hutchinson County voters passed the Hospital District issue with a five to one margin. After Hutchinson County Hospital District became a reality on September 5, 1989 at noon on the steps of the Hutchinson County Courthouse in Stinnett, Texas, Hutchinson County Commissioners
appointed the first Board of Directors: Jerry Waggoner, President; Jack King, Vice-President; Mark Mayberry, Secretary; Dr. Dane Welch, member; Dr. Ed Quiros, member; Tambre Lumpkin, member; and Deborah Summers, member. The hospital officially opened its doors for business on November 13, 1989.

The District purchased the hospital building for $2.5 million from Irving Trust Bank in New York City who had obtained the building from the Gateway Systems foreclosure. Brim & Associates was chosen as the management firm for the hospital in order to oversee the operations of the hospital. The firm managed GPCH until 1995. The hospital was then managed by its own administrative team.



1990s Growth

In 1996, Hutchinson County Hospital District took over the operation of the Women’s and Children’s Clinic which had previously been a project of the Texas Department of Health. In 1997, the District built the Fritch Medical Clinic in the nearby city of Fritch, Texas.





Moving Into the Future

The old nurses’ residence was torn down in 2000 and a new 6,000 square foot building, Golden Plains Medical Plaza at 202 S. McGee, was constructed. Three physicians conduct their practices in that building.

In October of 2007, Critical Access HealthCare, LLC, acquired ownership of Golden Plains Community Hospital. The Hutchinson County District, partnered with CAH. CAH assumed the operational responsibilities of managing the Hospital. The District continues assess taxes and pay for indigent care for the citizens of Hutchinson County. CAH gave a commitment to the Hospital District to raise the money to build a new Hospital to replace the original Hospital, portions of which were built in the 1940s, 1960s, and 1970s.

On October 24, 2011, a new state of the art hospital was opened at the hospital’s current location, 100 Medical Drive in Borger. The new building is owned by HCHD and financed with USDA revenue bonds. CAH runs and operates GPCH through a lease agreement from HCHD. The new facility contains 15 medical/surgical beds, 7 obstetrical beds, and 3 ICU beds (total of 25 beds), two surgery suites, an endoscopy suite, a day surgery center, full service laboratory and radiology (including a 64 slice CT Scanner, nuclear camera, ultrasound, digital mammography, digital fluoroscopy, MRI, and bone density services). The facility also includes rehab capabilities (PT/OT/ST), wound management, a level IV ER/trauma facility, swing bed capabilities, an onsite clinic (Affordable Care Clinic), and a separate Specialty Clinic that opened in November 2013 that houses Borger OB/GYN, Borger General Surgery, Borger Internal Medicine, and Borger Orthopedics. In addition, the hospital operates clinics in Fritch and Stinnett, TX.

100 Medical Drive Borger, TX – October 2011

 

 

OB Room – 100 Medical Drive – October 2011

 

 

Operating Room – 100 Medical Drive – October 2011

 

 

Stinnett Medical Clinic, Stinnett, TX – Opened June 3, 2014

 

 

Specialty Clinic – Opened November 25, 2013

 

 

Fritch Medical Clinic – Fritch, TX - Opened in 1997

 

 

100 Medical Drive, Borger, TX 79007, (806) 467-5700
On Time Technology Solutions, Inc.
Designed and Powered by:

Copyright © 2009-2011 / www.GoldenPlains.org